Westland Lynx HAS.3 ICE, 815 Sqn, HMS ENDURANCE, 1997.
with minor modifications.
The Airfix Lynx remains the best overall option for a current 1/72 Lynx (we have yet to see if Hobby Boss' imminent release will be better).
Its shape is more accurate than Fujimi's (the Frog & Matchbox kits are both prototypes and well out), but it does have its issues; most obviously:
But..... It looks like a Lynx to me !
I am building this one "out a suitcase" away from home (I'm on a 2-week training course) so some of my normal modelling facilities are not available.
Apologies for the poor quality of the phots - most of which were taken on my phone!
Coming together; the wire intake guards still look very crude, but I remain hopeful.
A little more progress. Plastic card strip added to the putty intakes, and an additional vent added on the engine cowling. As you can see, I have not used the orange crop antennae provided in the kit (including the new undercarriage stubs), partly as I want to use them elsewhere, but also because the nose add-on looks overscale to me - the white metal Airwaves one I used on my Mk8 build is similarly large, so perhaps I am wrong.
I have left the cabin "skylights" off at this stage, because I have forgotten the magic markers that I normally use to give the blue translucent markings; after last month's problems with the Sea King (Klear dissolved the magic marker on the outside of the windows and it ran all down the side of the cabin), I am keen to do the insides of these ones before I attach them!
First coats of paint applied, and a bit more work done on the intakes.
..and a quick reminder of the target!
More paint applied; now into the tidying up phase before decalling. As well as making my own Orange Crop add-ons, I am not using the kit supplied BERP blades (like the other parts, I plan to use them elsewhere). I have used the Airwaves resin blades before, but thought I would have a go at scratch building my own. I have sanded down the tips of the existing blades and added some plastic card "paddles". These have been faired in using copious amounts of Tippex. Not completely there yet, but they don't look too bad so far:
... and after decal application and a coat of satin varnish:
quite finished though. I still want to use my scratch built BERP
blades to give me a folded option.
Lynx reprise. I have now attached my scratch rotors; handling frames yet to be constructed and added.
... and a quick phot of my 3 naval Lynx together. You can see that the undercarriage sit is much better on my most recent one, and I am now more convinced than ever that the Orange Crop nose fairing is too large on the Airfix/Airwaves parts! Mine may be just a little bit too small though.
Oh yes - pleased with this; much easier to stow on the shelf too.
...and the updated Mk8 looks good as well!
Airfix, with minor modifications & Modeldecal markings.
I expect that this will be the last build of the year.
Another Lynx, hopefully one requiring a little less modification this time. It will be the early (1982 issue) Airfix kit, largely out the box (stand-fast more putty intake guards).
Decals on and ready for a final satin coat. The port double weapons pylon is a left-over from the Airwaves Mk8 conversion, and the Skuas (which still need their radomes painted) are scratch built from simple sprue & plastic card. At the same time I have felt enthused to finish my 2 Sea Dart Missiles !
.. and finished. I decided against fitting the MAD drogue as it made no sense with the Skua weapons fit:
Many more Lynx pictures on the Helicopter Pages